Monday, January 21, 2013

Range Life Status Update (2012.01.21)

Now that all the fun of shooting the film is done, there will be countless hours of editing that needs to happen to make the film the best that it can be.  The problem with this part is that the art of editing is not a group project.  So to keep everyone informed as to the status of the project, I wanted to start a series of updates.

I took yesterday off to enjoy some time with my wife, and to show her appreciation for allow me to work with the cast and crew for two solid days.  Today, I'm taking it easy and getting things ready for the next few weeks.   To that end, I've sorted all the video into folders based on the shot location.  

Next Steps:

  • Now that I have the media sorted, it is time to get a copy out to everyone who will be needing it.  I'm thinking that a group of us should meet at the coffee shop and bring external drives to transfer the data where it will be needed.
  • Once all of the editors have a copy of the media, we will need to split up into areas of focus.  First time editors will be given small parts to work with, so as to not overwhelm them.
  • Once the sections have been divvied up, each editor will need to crawl through the video and verify quality and completeness of the scenes.  This needs to be done ASAP.
  • Each editor will need to put the video scenes into Premiere and start to sort out how they want the scene to flow.  Once you have a proposed timeline, render the video out, and upload it to youtube.
  • Once it is uploaded to youtube, let me know, and I'll post a link to it on this site.
  • Once a clip is on the site, I'll email all the editors the link, and we can use the comments section of this site to offer reviews and suggestions.
  • Once the suggestions die down, we will let Josh have final approval/rejection, and allow him to comment on the clip as well.
  • After the clip has been approved, the editor will need to do some basic audio work on the clip (lining up any off camera audio sources).
  • Once your project is tidy, I will need to get a copy of your project file so that I can combine it with the other sections.
  • I'll be more than happy to create dailies, and we can watch them here or at escape as a group.  The cast and crew are all invited to watch the screenings.
  • Once the screenings have gotten the project to the point where Josh blesses it,
  • WE SCHEDULE THE PREMIERE!!!







Folder sets:

[Range Life]
  |
  +--[Adobe Projects]
  |
  |--+-[Assets]
  |  |
  |  +--+-[Pauls Apmt]
  |  |
  |  +--+-[Jeffs Apmt]
  |  |
  |  +--+-[Police Dpmt]
  |  |
  |  +--+-[Kims House]
  |  |
  |  +--+-[Coffee Shop]
  |
  +--[Renders]

All of the Adobe files will be stored in the Adobe project files will be stored in the Adobe Projects folder.  This will make it easy for all the editors to work together and exchange files as needed.

Assets will be stored in the Assets folder.  This will make it easy to share adobe project files and not worry about the transferring the actual media every time.  There will be common images that will need to be shared, and those will go in assets as well, but will be in their own folder so that sharing of assets can be made more simple.

As most of our machines are not able to render the whole movie in full quality in real time, tiny tweaks will need to be rendered out for review before continuing the edit.  Renders folder will keep all of the rendered footage, and allow us to quickly check with the others for review.

Please keep this folder structure.  DO NOT rename or move the raw media without letting EVERYONE know first.  that way we can all stay on the same page.  This is important if we are going to do multi-seat editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment